Allendale Christian School opened its doors to its first students in September 1915. The first school building was constructed on one acre of rented land on the southwest corner of Lake Michigan Drive and 64th Avenue. Already in 1919 the building was enlarged by the addition of a second room. In 1946 a corrugated metal Quonset building was erected on the property to house kindergarten and first grade.
Following a fire, Society members voted to build a new six-room brick school building on the southeast corner of the same intersection. This new school building was first occupied in September 1948. New children from the neighboring communities of Borculo, Coopersville, Eastmanville, Lamont, North Blendon, and Rusk began attending in ever-increasing numbers. In 1954 two more classrooms were added. In 1956 a six-room junior high building was erected with an all-purpose room following in 1968. As population grew, it became necessary to add two portable classrooms as well.
In 2002, M-45 was widened to a four lane, divided road. This change impacted Allendale Christian School in a loss of front acreage and vehicle access, parking shortages and problems with bus and car safety. Traffic noise also increased. As the present buildings aged, focus groups were held to discuss the future direction of ACS. In 2004, a capital campaign for the construction of a new school building was approved. In 2006, a motion was approved to sell a part of our property adjoining M- 45 and to construct a new school on the southern acreage. Demolition of the building took place during the month of July. Construction was completed at the end of August. We were able to start the 2007-2008 school year at our new facility – 11050 64th Ave.
The 2014-2015 school year was a special year for Allendale Christian, as we celebrated our 100th year of providing Christ-centered education for children in the Allendale area!